Friday, July 25, 2008

Thank You Blog Readers

When I started this blog, the idea was so that our kids, grandkids, my mom, friends and family could all keep track of our whereabouts...I have since come to realize that much of the time our loved ones are busy and don't read the blog as often as I thought they might, but perfect strangers are enjoying it very much. I get emails from people I don't even know. I have boaters in marinas stop me and say, "Hey! aren't you Ithaka? I'm enjoying your blog!" This will not create the need for me to change my content...in the end, I am really doing this so that Chip and I have a nice story to read when we are back home...or maybe when we are old and in the home! ha ha
Anyway, for those of you that look forward to reading the blog, like watching a t.v. show with a cliff hanger and waiting eagerly for the next episode, we thank you for coming along for the ride...To our loved ones who don't get a chance to read it as often as they'd like, we love you no matter what and (most of the time) wish you were here (one at a time) experiencing this adventure with us first hand...To our loved ones who do read it often and tell others about it, your encouragement and comments mean more than you will ever know...For those thinking of doing the loop and reading the blog hoping to find some tips and advice, I'm sorry I don't post that sort of thing as often as I should, but I will try from time to time to write about the really important stuff...promise.

Well, the generator is fixed...High marks go to Frasier at Doral Marina outside of Midland. We are a little behind in our schedule (I use that term loosely--schedule, what schedule?), but that is boating and besides-the wind is blowing at about 15 to 20 knots today so I doubt we'd be going anywhere anyway...We are now in Penetanguishene (just say it as it is spelled); arrived yesterday afternoon. We went to a play last night with 14 other loopers. It was at a fabulous venue called The King's Wharf Theatre...right on the water, there were tall ships in the harbour. The name of the show was Sorry..I'm Canadian, and everyone was glad Chip was there to translate! It was a bit of a geography lesson with humour and dancing and wonderful music by The K9 Four...Canada truly is a magnificent country!

OK, now here are a few of those tips I promised you:

1.) Be very careful coming out of lock #45. The water is very skinny, the current swift and buoys are very close together...under the bridge is particularly hazardous. The next narrow spot with lots of twists and turns is the Waubaushene Channel. While at the Doral Marina a boat came in, a brand new 70' Marlow, that hit a rock and messed up their rudder, props and hull just because they missed one little buoy...and this was done by a professional captain that the new owners hired to make this leg of the trip for them! Yikes!
2.) PLEASE be careful on deck...here at Bay Moorings Marina, there are two loopers in the hospital; one fell overboard at lock #45 leaning over the railing to take photos (remember, ONE HAND ALWAYS ON THE BOAT) and one got knocked out cold by a runaway dinghy cable, it just snapped!...crazy, huh?
3.) Bay Moorings Marina is the BEST place to stay in Penetanguishene. This town is the most convenient first stop coming into Georgian Bay. The facility is well equipted (they even have a nice pool) and the service is great! Thank you Mary!
4.) Great weather website:
http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/

Once we head out of here it could be days or even a week between blog posts as we will be doing a lot of anchoring...Until then, "Thank you blog readers".

2 comments:

Let The Good Times Roll said...

Dear Momma&Chip
one of the best parts of my own day is getting online and following you both on this amazing adventure.its very cool to be reading your daily lifes through all the miles of water, the pictures u post for all of us kids to see and the feeling were right there is a woderfull treat.I(WE)are so lucky to have you spend so much time keeping me(WE)in the loop-haha-. having a blast miss you both very much love ya B.

Captain Chip's best mate, Michele. said...

Dear Bobby- You have no idea how often Papa Chip and I say, "Bobby would love this". Even just tonight we spoke your name a number of times as we talked to other "loopers" and all shared stories about our/their kids...The fishing here is amazing. You would love it. I hope you can join us next time. You must. Thank you for keeping in the loop! We love you, too and miss you very very much, Momma & Chip