Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Divine Order


For those of you who know me, you know, I always try to look for the good in each situation--this morning when I said my prayers, I told Chip that I felt something really amazing was in store for us today. --that the mishap which happened yesterday at the marina which messed up our generator was just God's way of letting us know that He thinks our plans are good, but His are better.

After locking through the last lock on The Trent Severn, we found ourselves heading into Georgian Bay in a different direction than that which was in our plan...Our mail is waiting for us in Penetanguishene, but our boat needs to get fixed in Midland Bay at The Doral Marina Resort (the marina that we were referred to after the other marina in Port Severn accidentally broke our generator). We did not have a "specific" chart for Tiffin Basin, so I checked all the guides about the area that Chip has onboard and sure enough, clear directions for getting into the marina was in one of the books. God's order moves in and through all things...even Tiffin Basin.

I didn't know what unplanned joy awaited, but I was certain of a positive outcome...I actually look forward to God's surprises when things don't go as planned. Come to find out there is a Martyrs' Shrine, built up on a hillside, within walking distance of the Doral Marina. So while Chip worked with the mechanics here, I decided to take a walk. It was up a narrow country road and it was ALL uphill...huffing and puffing...half way there (it was about 2 miles) I wondered if maybe I misunderstood God's plan for me to visit the site. Luckily one of the men working at the marina told me about a fence on the back of the shrine's property -that if I scaled it I would be inside the grounds (Don't worry, I put more than the 3$ entry fee in the collection box). It was a much quicker entrance for someone on foot. Anyway, I ended up in this HUGE field and off in the distance I could see what looked like a small band shell. As it turned out it was an alter, built in 1984 for a visit from Pope John Paul II where he gave a mass to a million people. Today, I was the only person there, standing on the alter I began to cry. It was an amazing feeling, and just for a moment my faith was that which I had as a child...no metaphors, no science, just a simple unshaken faith...I can barely remember that time when I didn't question and seek. But for that moment, I was about five years old and in awe of something much bigger than I am...and certain that I was a part of it.

As I walked around the sacred grounds, I found memorials, peace gardens, monuments and shrines to saints including the eight Franciscan priests who were massacred here on this site in 1639. The church itself, built in 1926, is a place where men and woman come from all over the world to be healed and there were hundreds of crutches and canes on the alter...and a sculpture of Mary with Jesus as a baby in her arms with children representing all the children of the world surrounding her...one of the most lovely depictions of Mary I have ever seen.

When I got back to the marina I told Chip all about the beautiful things I experienced so we borrowed the managers van here at Doral because I wanted him to see the church and the Papal Alter, too. We walked around the grounds together and found our way following a path under a highway bridge to the burial site of 2 of the martyrs at a place called Sainte-Marie-amoung-the Hurons. I was so glad that we had the time to come back together because even Chip said seeing it for himself was so much grander than I could explain...We discovered together also that St. Joseph is the patron saint of Canada. I bought a little booklet about the shrine called, "Saints Lived Here" which I look forward to reading.

Looks like the generator will get fixed in a day or two, and I am thankful for divine order everyday. Amen

No comments: