Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Is Bob Cajun?


We spent a lovely day in the little hamlet of Bobcaygeon (pronounced Bob-Cajun). This is the site of the first lock built on The Trent Severn Waterway. Everything here is just so charming. Something to delight the mad shoppers and nature lovers equally. I was in the biggest shoe store I have EVER been in in my life! AND...I did NOT buy one pair! I took my temperature as soon as I got back to the boat...I'm not sure what was wrong with me, but Captain Chip's credit card was grateful.

This morning we will edge our way ever closer to Georgian Bay...hoping to make it as far as the Kirkland Lift Lock where the reds will begin to be on our port side AND we will begin descending! Hey, do you know how they came up with left being "port" and "starboard" meaning the right side on a boat? Well, years ago when the big sail boats would come into a port, their landing board was on the left side of the vessel: where they docked(or made port), and their steering board, or the side where they steered using the stars was on the right side...pretty simple. Chip insists on talking boat talk when we are on the boat, so when we are coming into a dock or a lock he always says, "get your lines ready on the port side". I just say left and right...and like fork, port has 4 letters...so I know it's my left...

No comments: