Wednesday, June 13, 2007

"Can you hear me now?"


We left Wrightsville early and cruised to Swansboro on Monday...the ICW passes right through Camp Lejeune's firing range. Obviously, they were not conducting manuevers! When they are, this area is closed and one must wait it out until the "coast is clear"...hours, sometimes days. We did however get to see marines along the five mile stretch, some close enough to wave back as I threw kisses and waved our American flag! I didn't take any photos, I wasn't sure if I was allowed to, but the picture of them waving to me will stay in my heart.

Swansboro was another quaint little town...we docked at Casper's (much nicer than Dudley's) and walked along the waterfront. Ate a nice dinner on board, turned in early...

The ride from Swansboro to Oriental was by no means monotonous. For the first 20 miles we had Bogue Sound to our starboard side. This part of the "banks", from Cape Fear to Cape Lookout, is not as remote. There are pretty houses, painted bright colors, with tin roofs and lattice, long docks and lots of boats. Historians say that explorer Veranzano first approached this area in 1524 and it is believed his account is the first written description of America.

It was near the turning basin in Morehead City that we spotted Canada Geese for the first time on this trip. Here we turned almost due west, heading away from the coast to our next destination; Oriental. Our cell phone and internet connection is so bad where we are, don't be surprised if you don't hear from us again till Norfolk! "Can you hear me now?"

1 comment:

Denise Sabo said...

Yes, I CAN hear you, you're getting closer and closer by the day!!! Love you, Neecie