Sunday, June 10, 2007

101 Bridges


Well, we will have been gone for 4 weeks tomorrow. We went over the 1000 mile mark today...since leaving Naples on May 14th we have now logged 1007 nautical miles...17 marinas and one anchorage...We've gone under 101 bridges (several were "swing" and some were draw bridges that we didn't actually go under!) Oh, our favorite bridge tender thus far was a sweet lady at ICW mile 1014, Parker Bridge. Most memorable bridge: Bridge of Lions in St. Augustine.
Looking back, aside from the obvious: (Navnet, computer, cell phone, charts, video camera) I'd say my favorite things on board have been: our bikes, my flip flops, zip-loc bags, the fly swatter & the 1/2 dozen white terry clothes my mom suggested I buy. (thank you Mom, you were right!) Chip's favorite thing to have on board is me...no actually, it's windex and paper towels (I feel like I'm away with the dad on My Big Fat Greek Wedding)...He also enjoys his binoculars. He is awesome at spotting wildlife!
We had a wonderful visit with his cousin Holly yesterday in Myrtle Beach. She drove over 120 miles in each direction just to have lunch with us (thank you Jack for making that happen, and thank you Holly for driving so far to see us). We were reminded that we are in charge of Chip's next family reunion in 2010. I think we need to combine it with my family reunion...oh yeah...a bunch a Italians from New York with the Harris'...Bada bing bada boom! Let's do it!
Jack took us to Waites Island; remote and uninhabited, it was pristine. The northern most barrier island in South Carolina. (see pictures). Magnificent views...long stretches of dunes and wide sandy beaches.
We left the marina at dawn and cruised through Cape Fear River and Snow's Cut. Arrived in Wrightsville after 3 PM. Once we were docked we sat up on the fly bridge and watched all the boats go by in this busy port. So many folks drove by Ithaka and either gave us a thumbs up or would tell us they loved our boat; she's a beauty!

1 comment:

bluetech said...

Why wait until 2010 for that re-union, Chip?
Just asking...
Canadian Cousin