Thursday, July 5, 2007

Enter the Golden Door


Just try to imagine the feeling that millions of immigrants felt when arriving in America- After a voyage that sometimes lasted more than a month; in deplorable conditions, clinging only to their meager belongings and their dreams...their hopes greater than their fears- Imagine the emotions as their ships turned into New York Harbor and their eyes beheld Lady Liberty for the first time. They had arrived these courageous souls as the statue greeted the "tired and the poor...huddled masses longing to breathe free..."

When we motored into New York Harbor it was without a doubt one of the most memorable experiences, not only of our journey, but of our lives. Chip, Fern and I sat together up on the fly bridge as we turned into the harbor, a skyline before us unlike any other on earth when we spotted the lady in the distance. How can we possibly know how our ancestors felt...But, we are in awe of their bravery, their faith and their desire to live in America...and her message, "I lift my lamp to the Golden Door" never impressed me more. She led us in as we laughed and cried and celebrated our accomplishment. It was fantastic!

It only made sense that we would spend the next day at Ellis Island. My mom had never been there before. It was a wonderful day for all of us...especially after going through the experience of coming to New York by boat and seeing the Statue of Liberty from that perspective. Afterwards we took the ferry over to Manhattan...went to the World Trade Center Site and Trinity Church. Met my brother Joe for dinner at Katz's Deli...Remember the movie: When Harry Met Sally? "I'll have whatever she's having" is the famous line spoken while they ate Pastrami at Katz's. Yummy!

Ithaka had a special visitor on July 4th...my very dear friend and former art teacher, Fred, spent the afternoon with us...what a treat for me to see him! I love that he brought me a bouquet of flowers picked from his garden. Joey also came over and stayed till after the fireworks (which were incredible) when he and my mom then left together for Brooklyn, leaving Chip and me off on our own again...now we're going to take it real slow up the Hudson...

No comments: