Friday, October 2, 2009

My new best friend...

Shortly after Chip left to drive up to surprise his brother Gil for his birthday, I had an unexpected visitor make her way down the dock and sit herself right outside my door. (click on photo to enlarge picture).
Meet "Birdie"! ~Now, I don't know if that's going to be her name in the end, but that's what I've been calling her for the past 3 days. She's a puppy...I would guess maybe 4 or 5 months old. She's as sweet as maple syrup and has made herself at home here at the marina. No one knows where she came from...and so far, no one is claiming her, but everyone is giving her lots of love and attention...feeding her, rubbing her behind the ears...why she may just end up being The Birdsong Marina mascot by the time we leave...I've already told the manager that they can have t-shirts made, ball caps, visors, koozie cups! Anyway, my new best friend knows I'm by myself...and she comes down to check on me throughout the day.

Being alone has been strange...Chip and I have been away from one another before...but usually it is either me going away or him going away and we are at home: in our house, close to friends and family and all things familiar...Being on Ithaka for three days in a quiet marina in Tennessee without any other transient boats, no other living soul in sight once the sun goes down is quite a different story. In a way it has had a therapeutic effect...almost like a healing...the passage of time alone...connecting with feelings...keeping busy...working, reading, painting, praying...eating when I was hungry and cooking what I like to eat...Being alone on Ithaka last night through a lightning storm was a bit scary...the boat rocked and rolled a lot. The wind whipped around me and the waves sloshed up against the bow right above where my head was trying to rest...this went on for several hours! A storm that, anyone who knows me knows, I would have normally slept right through if my captain had been on board...I never felt frightened except for the passing thought of how lonely my life would be without Chip...I can fill the idle time in many ways. I am never bored.

So, Chip is on his way back to Ithaka now. I know he had a very good visit with his brother...Gil has not been well, and Chip would not let his birthday go by without being there. I knew it wasn't my place to be there...we will have a big celebration together as soon as he is able...It is a long drive, nearly 12 hours so I know he will be tired...dinner is ready (what he likes)...and I can't wait to see my real best friend! (sorry Birdie)...
Posted by Picasa

No comments: